Downtown Riverwalk San Antonio, Texas
Throughout the whole of Texas, the Downtown Riverwalk in San Antonio is the most frequently visited by both tourists and locals. It is open to the public 365 days in a year, where everyone can enjoy the beauty and excitement awaiting in this park. Filled with different establishments, such as restaurants, hotels, theme parks, nightclubs, and many more; the fun never ends the moment you step foot in its vicinity. With the new Museum Reach added to the vicinity of the park, the San Antonio Riverwalk has become a bigger and better experience. Whether you visit at day or at night, there will never be a dull moment in the public park. Here are some of the best places to visit in San Antonio's Downtown Riverwalk:
One of the best things about going on a trip to San Antonio, is that there are endless amounts of fun and activities that you can participate in, no matter what your age or interest is. Whether you're looking for a historic experience or a cultural event, San Antonio is one area that will definitely complete your trip. Here are some of the attractions that you can expect to find during your visit in San Antonio Riverwalk:
The San Antonio Riverwalk plays host to three of the most enjoyable attractions in the world. Housed in the Ripley's complex in the Alamo Plaza, you can take part in the Ripley's Haunted Adventure, Guinness World Records Museum, and the Tomb Raider 3D.
- Guinness World Records Museum - Explore a museum filled with collections of different world record artifacts, videos, exhibits, touch screen computers, and games. An interactive trivia is also part of the trip, where you can join in on the new Attempt Arena; where you can challenge yourself in breaking a world record. The museum is open daily from 10am - 8pm (Sundays to Thursdays) and 10am - 10pm (Fridays and Saturdays). Admission to the museum is $20.99 per person.
- Ripley's Haunted Adventure - If you don't scare easily, you may want to explore this creepy mansion; a multi-million dollar establishment complete with special effects and live actors all with one common goal: to scare you out of your wit. The haunted house is open daily from 10am - 8pm (Sundays to Thursdays) and 10am - 10pm (Fridays and Saturdays). Admission to the museum is $20.99 per person.
- Tomb Raider 3D - The newest addition to the Ripley's triad is an adventure ride filled with a multi-million dollar investment complete with special 3D interactive effects. Join in on this adventure as you journey through the ancient tomb of Anubis, the Egyptian god as you try to beat the curse. The ride is open daily from 10am - 8pm (Sundays to Thursdays) and 10am - 10pm (Fridays and Saturdays). Admission to the museum is $20.99 per person.
San Antonio is one of the definitive areas for South Texan heritage. During your visit, make sure to immerse yourself in the history of the state as well as the science and natural history artifacts through the Witte Museum. Available year round, the museum can be visited between 10am - 5pm (Mondays and Wednesdays to Saturdays),10am - 8pm (Tuesdays), and from noon to 5pm (Sundays). Admission to the museum is $10 for adults (12-64 years old) and $7 for children (4-11 years old). Visit between 3pm-8pm on a Tuesday to get free admission.
Restaurants & Nightlife
One of the best things about visiting the San Antonio Riverwalk is that you no longer have to go far to enjoy good food and drinks. Filled with an abundance of different cuisines, there's no reason for you to go hungry when you're visiting this area in San Antonio. Here are some of the restaurants you may visit during your trip:
- Sazo's Latin Grill - Located at the Marriott Rivercenter Hotel, Sazo's Latin Grill is your go-to choice if you're craving for a Spanish and Latin American flavors. Marvel at their elegant decoration as you will see how intricate each piece has been chosen. The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Barriba Cantina - Have a taste of fun Mexican street food any time of the day. The establishment is open from 11am to 2am daily. You may also take part in their Happy Hour Specials (3pm-6pm weekdays), where you can get draft beer for as low as $1.
- Biga on the Banks - Named as among the 'Top Five Restaurants in Texas' by Gourmet Magazine, you won't go wrong with this choice with a Texan flair. Some of the dishes prepared by Chef Bruce Auden include Texas lamb, seafood, game, and beef. The restaurant is available from 5:30pm - 10:00pm (Sundays to Thursdays) and 5:30pm - 11:00pm (Fridays to Saturdays).
- Bourdo's Texas Bistro - Esquire Magazine has named this establishment as one of the 50 best restaurants in all of the U.S. This proves enough reason why the restaurant is worth a visit. Taste the bestseller pecan-grilled lamb chops marinated with herbs and a peach chutney. The establishment is open from 11:00am - 11:00pm (Sundays to Thursdays) and 11:00am - 12:00am (Fridays & Saturdays).
- Charlie Wants a Burger - If you're looking for a dog-friendly sports bar, this is your best choice. But apart from being a dog-friendly establishment, you can taste delicious burgers for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. They operate from 7:30am - 10:00pm (Sundays to Thursdays) and 7:30am - 11:00pm (Fridays & Saturdays).
- Republic of Texas Restaurant & Nightclub - Another place where you can indulge in delicious burgers is Republic of Texas Restaurant & Nightclub. Apart from being a nightclub, they also offer a dining cruise suitable for anytime of the day so you can learn more about the history of the river. At night, the establishment transforms itself into a dance club, where you can enjoy one of their Colossal 46oz. Margarita drinks. They are open daily from 10:00am - 2:00am.
- The Esquire Tavern - As the oldest bar on San Antonio Riverwalk, there is a lot of history to be learned from this establishment. It is also the longest wooden bar top in all of Texas, boasting of a 100-feet beer-soaked wood. They are available from 11:30am to 12:00am (Sundays to Wednesdays) and 11:30am to 2:00am (Thursdays to Saturdays).
San Antonio Riverwalk is home to a number of shopping establishments, suitable for both the young and experienced. After dining in some of the delicious cuisines, take your pick at one of the park's recommended shopping centers:
- Market Square - Since the 1820s, the Market Square has been providing locals various finds such as authentic Talavera pottery, handcrafted gifts and leather goods, exotic curios, and Mexican clothing. It is recognized as one of the biggest Mexican markets situated outside of Mexico. Apart from shopping, you can also dine and dance by enjoying the lively Mariachi and Tejano music provided by the establishments surrounding it.
- Rivercenter Mall - This mall is home to modern finds with fashion names such as Victoria's Secret, Macy's, Sun Glass Hut, Gap, and Bath and Body Works. For entertainment, the mall has its own Hooter's, IMAX Theater, and the Rivercenter Comedy Club.
- La Villita Historic Arts Village - Situated south of Riverwalk, La Villita was one of the city's first neighborhoods and can still date back to 300 years ago. Initially, it served as a center where regional arts and crafts were taught and also as an artists' market. Nowadays, there are almost 30 shops and galleries which display handcrafted items, paintings, textiles, sculptures, folk art, jewelry, and many more all created by artists from San Antonio and its surrounding vicinity.
When planning a trip to San Antonio, make sure to visit during the summer season as the yearly outdoor performance called Fiesta Noche del Rio San Antonio takes place on the Riverwalk. Expect to hear songs and see native dances of Mexico, Texas, Spain, and Argentina during this lively festivity. Having started since 1957, over a million visitors have already seen the event and as such, raised over $2.5 million for the local children's charities it supports. The festivity usually lasts between May to August and is held at the Arneson River Theatre in La Villita.
Location from Stay Express San Antonio Seaworld Medical Center:
The San Antonio Riverwalk is approximately 11.9 miles or 21 minutes away by car from the Stay Express San Antonio Seaworld Medical Center. With this short distance, there is perfect reason for you to explore all of the downtown Riverwalk complex and take part in the different entertainment options awaiting you.